Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2021 not connecting/compatible with my midi keyboard Akai MPK 249

I just bought the 2021 MacBook & Logic Pro this month for music production (which I just began). But my 2021 MacBook is not connecting/compatible with my midi keyboard Akai MPK 249. Midi is not discoverable on Mac even though it is powered on with usb

Should I refund my new Mac and buy a window based Laptop that will not give compatibility issue with my studio hardware? What should I do

Please advise

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:14 AM

From AKAI's website:

"At this time, all Akai Pro hardware and software should be considered not supported for use with these new M1 processors. "

However, according to the website they are testing a new version of the MPK essential software which includes new drivers for the MPK 249.

As for Windows:

"We encourage all our users to remain on their current Windows OS until all necessary hardware and software products have been qualified for use with the new Windows 11 operating system. "

so, same boat for both OS

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 4:14 AM in response to oluwaseyi210

From AKAI's website:

"At this time, all Akai Pro hardware and software should be considered not supported for use with these new M1 processors. "

However, according to the website they are testing a new version of the MPK essential software which includes new drivers for the MPK 249.

As for Windows:

"We encourage all our users to remain on their current Windows OS until all necessary hardware and software products have been qualified for use with the new Windows 11 operating system. "

so, same boat for both OS

Dec 8, 2021 2:51 AM in response to oluwaseyi210

I bought last year a Mac Mini M1 and yes MPC software doesn't work, however I can use my MPK 249 with Logic Pro, all Midi controller features are working fine.

However I recently bought a Macbook Pro with a 1M Pro processor, I tried to use it with my MPK 249 and it didn't work, I made some investigation, because both are on Big Sur latest version. AND I got it also working on my Macbook Pro, though when I direct connect it using a USB-A to USB-C connector (since the AKAI provide cable is USB-A), it provides power to the MPK 249, but Logic Pro doesn't recognise the MPK 249.

When I switched to the setup I'm using for my Mac Mini, Logic Pro DOES see the MPK correctly, you need to restart Logic Pro, while during start Logic Pro looks at your connected devices, so Logic should see the MPK 249 during the start and you need to select it. Difference is : now I'm using my Dell 2720DC connected to my Laptop (using USB-C) and using its build in USB 3.0 / 3.1 hub to connect the MPK 249.

While I just got my Macbook, I still need to get an USB-C hub, but I will look for one with USB 3.0/ 3.1 compatibility.

But the good new is, the MPK 249 CAN be used with the M1 with Big. Sur and Logic PRO, though a compatible (to USB-A 3.0)/3.1 USB-C hub is required! Of course AKAI should update their software, while the M1 is out there for more than a year and still their software can not run (also not using Rosetta 2) on any M1, M1Pro, M1Max.

Dec 11, 2021 1:20 AM in response to oluwaseyi163

Monterey is not the issue, forgot that I upgrade it too, so indeed both are running on it. My Macbook is a 2021 14" 1M Pro, also released in October ;-) so yes it already had Monterey on it . I suggest to connect your AKAI MPK 249 with your Laptop using a HUB . ONLY when Logic Pro detects the AKAI during startup it will work, other methods to connect were not successful. It would also be strange if this doesn't work, while you "only" use the MIDI interface using USB-C, and if this would work, no devices could work either. In order to check if it's connection : go to : Logic Pro (at the menubar), Preferences, MIDI and select the last "tab" / button : Inputs. Here you should find several entries define the AKAI MPK. Success!

Dec 11, 2021 2:18 AM in response to DJAbom

Ok, here are my 2 cents…

You do not need a “hub.” I have Keyboards from M-Audio, Alesis, Akai, ROLI and other audio interfaces from Steinberg, Yamaha and mics from Aston, Shure and NEAT . They all work perfectly fine on a clean install of MacOS Monterey and with the M1 SOC. I use them with GarageBand, Cubase and Ableton Live. Just make sure you have a good cable that is USB-C to USB-B / micro-B (or whichever plug your instrument uses, no need for an extra adapter ). The hub might be good for some but it might also add complexity / hardware problems to a simple setup…

Macbook 2021 not connecting/compatible with my midi keyboard Akai MPK 249

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.