Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to format SSD

I've been using HDD file storage and SSD High Sierra on 2011 MacBook Pro for many years now, SSD needed replacement; backed up, made bootable USB but also CCC'd HS over to a fresh partition on HDD, just in case? Glad I did, tried allsorts over the last fortnight (and two brand new SSD's), just can not get them to format?

Fit new SSD, start in recovery, new drive registers "would you like to initialize", yes, choose APFS; unmounts, preparing to format, waiting for the partitions to activate...

And there it stays. I gave it half an hour, then thought I'd leave it as long as necessary, got up the following morning and still waiting, hadn't done a thing. I managed to get that disk back by reformatting Fat & MBR, then again to HFS & GUID but when attempted APFS again, waiting for the partitions to activate and this time couldn't get it to mount at all.

Happened to have a smaller 125Gb handy so tried again; installed, disk recognition, would you like to..., yes, this time chose HFS & GUID, will play it safe? Yet again waiting for the partitions to activate, but this time unable to mount the disk no matter what I try

The closest I'm able to get is when select Apple partition, HFS, Journaled, at least able to see it's almost there, major and minor (32kb) partitions have been created but once again unable to mount either of them. First Aid fails every time

On a few occasions I attempted it through Terminal? Can see the partition map being built and it simply stops at 50% every time.

External SATA - USB unable to detect the disks now they're unmounted, loathe to buy another disk when there are two brand new ones sitting here

I've Googled it and can't find anything, wondering if anyone has any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 2:45 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Nov 29, 2021 2:21 AM in response to BDAqua

I also read on here that High Sierra may have some issues when it comes to formatting SSD's? Consequently I've tried reverting to previous OS's (Sierra, El Capitan), Internet recovery (Lion in my case) all to no avail. I'm on shared Wi-Fi here, a bit hit and miss so even tried sharing my phone's Wi-Fi. No joy in all cases. There's no chance of a proper, wired connection either, unless sit outside with my longest cable plugged into the public router, might get some funny looks lol 😆

Nov 29, 2021 6:01 PM in response to ThaiMcTours

When erasing the SSD make sure to select the physical drive to erase which will usually be identified by the make & model of the drive. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled).

You may have a bad hard drive SATA Cable or the SSD being used may not be compatible. You can connect the SSD externally using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure. If you can properly erase the SSD externally and install macOS, then one of these two things are the cause of the problem.

You mention hard drive and SSD. Make sure to install the SSD to the main drive bay as the SATA controller & cable for the optical drive bay may not work properly with an SSD. Install the slower hard drive to the optical bay if you are using two internal drives.

If you are also using an internal hard drive, then perhaps the internal hard drive is worn out or failing and interfering with the SSD. You can check the health of the internal drive(s) (both hard drive and SSDs) by running DriveDx. Post the full report(s) here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Also disconnect all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem.

Nov 30, 2021 12:46 AM in response to ThaiMcTours

Currently looking like it's the SATA lead inside? Gave the shop both SSD's and they're shot, one is unwriteable the other doesn't even register. So bought yet another SSD and new SATA-USB lead, formatted a treat, CCC'd the OS over without any problems at all

Fitted the SSD in original HDD (HDD is on original optical drive connection) slot, fired up the machine and "cannot read the drive you installed", so will be back to the shop tomorrow to buy a new lead.

Maybe I should have tested the SSD on the optical drive connection but with things failing all over I'm loathe to mess with the few things left that are still working?

Unable to format SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.