Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted my text messages, they erased on all my devices, how do I recover them? I have reset my device, that did not work

I accidentally deleted my text messages, yesterday, they erased on all my devices, how do I recover them? I have reset one of my devices, that did not work, what do I do? I really need them back.

I had the Focus switch on, and I think that is why they deleted across all my devices

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:51 AM

Having focus turned on has nothing to do with it.

If your text messages are present on all your devices, then you are syncing them with iCloud.

If you delete a text on one device, it deletes from all your devices.

There is not a way to recover them in this case.

7 replies

Dec 16, 2021 4:40 PM in response to BumblingBlock 2

You completely misunderstand what iCloud is for. It is not a 'storage facility'

Messages in iCloud is meant for syncing messages among Apple devices. It is not for backing up your messages.

So if you have an iPad and an iPhone and a Mac.. you get to see them all synced up when you use iCloud.

Because these messages are stored in iCloud, they are not contained in an iPhone backup.. probably because that would just double the amount of storage that they take.

If you only have 1 Apple device, I don't think there is much point in using Messages in iCloud. And if you turn off Messages in iCloud, then your messages will be included in your backup.

Dec 29, 2021 9:37 PM in response to laoisme

If you had iCloud Messages turned on, and from your description you did, then they are no longer included in your backup.

If iCloud Messages is NOT turned on they are in your backup then you can restore your iPhone from your backup and they will be recovered. Also if they are in your backup you can use 3rd party software such as Backup Extractor, iMazing, etc. to remove the messages from the backup file, assuming the messages are in your latest backup.

It sounds like on your husband's phone iCloud Messages was not turned on and they were in his backup file.

Keep forever refers to how long messages will be retained that you did not delete and then confirm you wanted to delete them.

I accidentally deleted my text messages, they erased on all my devices, how do I recover them? I have reset my device, that did not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.