Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade to Big Sur on my Mac Mini late 2012 2.6 GHZ Quad VCore i-17 8 mb Memory.

Can I upgrade to Big Sur on my Mac Mini (Late 2012) 2.6GHZ Quad Core i-17 8MB Memory

GR63J

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 11:14 AM

No. The most recent version of MacOS your mini is capable of running is Catalina (10.15), which is now 2 versions old. Whilst there is a way of obtaining older versions of MacOS (and I can tell you if you want to install Catalina, but I would strongly recommend buying a new Mac (if you can afford to) as yours is now 9 years old and older systems which can't run the latest version of MacOS (which is Monterey (MacOS 12), by the way, Big Sur was the previous version) are open to security vulnerabilities). 9 years is a good age for a computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 11:14 AM in response to GR63J

No. The most recent version of MacOS your mini is capable of running is Catalina (10.15), which is now 2 versions old. Whilst there is a way of obtaining older versions of MacOS (and I can tell you if you want to install Catalina, but I would strongly recommend buying a new Mac (if you can afford to) as yours is now 9 years old and older systems which can't run the latest version of MacOS (which is Monterey (MacOS 12), by the way, Big Sur was the previous version) are open to security vulnerabilities). 9 years is a good age for a computer.

Can I upgrade to Big Sur on my Mac Mini late 2012 2.6 GHZ Quad VCore i-17 8 mb Memory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.