Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple music , itunes

Hi;

When we buy songs from İtunes while we are also subscribed to Apple Music , are the songs downloaded automatically on lossless or lossy format?

(song's quality are not always same on apple music and itunes..)

thanks..

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 7:26 AM

If the 2500 songs are yours (i.e. you bought them) I'd keep them and not replace with Apple Music versions.

Remember that Apple Music (the streaming service) is a "music renting" giving you the right to play the songs as long as the subscription is active. If the subscription is not renewed, the songs aren't playable anymore. You "own" nothing.

At least keep a backup copy of your purchased songs somewhere, even though they are lossy (AAC). They will remain yours, regardless the subscription's status.

I suppose you manage the songs in Music app on a desktop computer (e.g. a Mac). In your Library, in the Songs listed view, the Cloud Status column shows which song is Matched, Uploaded, Purchased or Apple Music.

Matched means that a song you own locally in your library is available in Apple Music's catalogue and so they match.

Uploaded means that a song you own locally in your library isn't listed in Apple Music's catalogue and so it's uploaded on Apple's servers to have it available for streaming.

Purchased means that the song was purchased in iTunes Store.

Apple Music means that the song isn't owned by you because it comes from Apple Music's catalogue and you have added it to your library.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 7:26 AM in response to elbruz88

If the 2500 songs are yours (i.e. you bought them) I'd keep them and not replace with Apple Music versions.

Remember that Apple Music (the streaming service) is a "music renting" giving you the right to play the songs as long as the subscription is active. If the subscription is not renewed, the songs aren't playable anymore. You "own" nothing.

At least keep a backup copy of your purchased songs somewhere, even though they are lossy (AAC). They will remain yours, regardless the subscription's status.

I suppose you manage the songs in Music app on a desktop computer (e.g. a Mac). In your Library, in the Songs listed view, the Cloud Status column shows which song is Matched, Uploaded, Purchased or Apple Music.

Matched means that a song you own locally in your library is available in Apple Music's catalogue and so they match.

Uploaded means that a song you own locally in your library isn't listed in Apple Music's catalogue and so it's uploaded on Apple's servers to have it available for streaming.

Purchased means that the song was purchased in iTunes Store.

Apple Music means that the song isn't owned by you because it comes from Apple Music's catalogue and you have added it to your library.

Nov 29, 2021 12:35 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Thanks for your response..

So i need to delete my 2500 songs on my apple music archive , and redownload them one by one from apple music catalog to still my apple music archive? :)

I wish we could at least see them on different archives because they are downloaded automatically to the same archive and we dont even know if they are from itunes or apple music..

apple music , itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.