Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad cellular

Do you need cellular on the new iPad to be able to pay for Wi-Fi if your outside Wi-Fi range?

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 11:38 AM

No, you cannot. You can purchase a cellular plan, but only of the wi-fi + cellular model of the iPad. The wi-fi only device will only work when you are connected to wi-fi, and you wouldn't be able to do that inside a vehicle. For that you would need the cellular as Giulio stated. They are two separate devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 11:38 AM in response to Sweatrz

No, you cannot. You can purchase a cellular plan, but only of the wi-fi + cellular model of the iPad. The wi-fi only device will only work when you are connected to wi-fi, and you wouldn't be able to do that inside a vehicle. For that you would need the cellular as Giulio stated. They are two separate devices.

Nov 28, 2021 12:02 PM in response to Sweatrz

Sweatrz wrote:

so if I want it for my kids and we go on a car ride I can still purchase an att or Verizon data plan on the non cellular model iPad?

You need to be running near an iPhone operating as a hotspot, or have a MiFi or similar device, or be in a vehicle with Wi-Fi and cellular capabilities; some cars and some buses have that capability.

A non-cellular iPad is a non-cellular iPad, and cannot (by itself) access cellular networks.

iPad cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.