Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook air doesn't allow me to update because it needs an OS X 10.11

I am trying to unlock an iphone 7 using itunes on my laptop. When i connect it to my itunes, it requires it to be updated, but in order to update itunes i need to update my OS. Now when i try to update from Yosemite to Captian it says i need OS X 10.11 or greater. What should I do? Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:10 PM

Where you get the update from? Sounds like you got a mid version update which requires the main version already be installed.

Try the link from here: link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

7 replies

Nov 28, 2021 5:16 PM in response to amherrer

You have a MacBook Air (Let us know which year model) that has OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). You are attempting to update it to El Capitan which is OS X 10.11. You have seen a notification that you need OS X 10.11 or greater to update. This means that your MacBook Air is attempting to update to a OS version greater than OS X 10.11. You will need to manually update your MacBook Air to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). Below is how to do that:

The following steps are for upgrading to Mac OS X 10.11 Capitan:

• Visit the Mac App Store.
  • Locate the OS X El Capitan Page.
  • Click the Download button.
  • Follow the simple instructions to complete the upgrade.

Axel F.

My macbook air doesn't allow me to update because it needs an OS X 10.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.