Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import of Panasonic camera videos using iMovie

Does iMovie support my Panasonic NV-DS150 camera video importing? (FireWire, i-DV)

When I connect using the Apple connectors, iMovie shows DV connected but the import screen remains black.

Do I have to purchase another SW to import my videos?

Appreciate all help :)

Gr

BFS

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:01 PM

iMovie supports most tape based cameras. With iMovie 9 the imports are usually successful. However, with iMovie 10 importing from tape can be somewhat hit or miss. Many problems relate to defective cables or adapters. You want a firewire connection from camera to Mac, using whatever adapters are necessary. So the first thing is to check your cable and adapter connections.

Apple recommends to import photos and videos into the Photos app for use in iMovie, rather than directly into iMovie. You can then access the videos from the Photos sidebar item in iMovie. You can also use the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to a folder on your desktop. Importing into QuickTimePlayer also can work, although it would come in as one long clip without scene breaks.

Another thing you can try is starting the camera playing once connected, and then beginning the import.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 4:01 PM in response to BFS6132

iMovie supports most tape based cameras. With iMovie 9 the imports are usually successful. However, with iMovie 10 importing from tape can be somewhat hit or miss. Many problems relate to defective cables or adapters. You want a firewire connection from camera to Mac, using whatever adapters are necessary. So the first thing is to check your cable and adapter connections.

Apple recommends to import photos and videos into the Photos app for use in iMovie, rather than directly into iMovie. You can then access the videos from the Photos sidebar item in iMovie. You can also use the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to a folder on your desktop. Importing into QuickTimePlayer also can work, although it would come in as one long clip without scene breaks.

Another thing you can try is starting the camera playing once connected, and then beginning the import.

-- Rich

Import of Panasonic camera videos using iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.