Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringing

My new iPhone won’t ring when I get a phone call. I read everything on the correct settings and all is correct. However the mute button on the left side of my brand new iPhone is not working. I wish I stuck with

my android phone!!! You

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 5:07 AM

Hello,

You will need to get the "mute" button working. Sometimes you can just slide it back-and-forth to free it up:

About the buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

These are the standard steps for no sound:

1. Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.
  2. How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons.
  3. Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  5. Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?
  6. Do other sounds work? What about phone calls?
  7. Volume summary:  Adjust the volume on iPhone
  8. Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 5:07 AM in response to yisroel80

Hello,

You will need to get the "mute" button working. Sometimes you can just slide it back-and-forth to free it up:

About the buttons and switches on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

These are the standard steps for no sound:

1. Is the side silent mute button on? Does any red show? Slide it back and fourth.
  2. How about the volume buttons? Is the volume very low? Move the buttons.
  3. Is Do Not Disturb on? Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb. Is it turned on? Check the times.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Check the Ringer and Alerts slider.  Try changing the sound pattern for the type of alert.
  5. Go to Settings > Notifications. Is the app listed?
  6. Do other sounds work? What about phone calls?
  7. Volume summary:  Adjust the volume on iPhone
  8. Do you have an Apple watch? Many of the notifications will go to the watch instead of the phone.

Note: you can send text messages to yourself for testing purposes.

Good luck.

Ringing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.