Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should i install malwarebytes on my mac or is disk utility enough?

Is malwarebytes necessary for MacOS Monterey? Or is disk utility enough?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 4:56 PM

I've never installed it on Monterey or any previous version (with the exception that I did install it once in order to answer a question on this forum and I then removed it). It has a very good reputation on this forum but it isn't "necessary." Also see: macOS - Security - Apple and Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2021 4:56 PM in response to stringmelody

I've never installed it on Monterey or any previous version (with the exception that I did install it once in order to answer a question on this forum and I then removed it). It has a very good reputation on this forum but it isn't "necessary." Also see: macOS - Security - Apple and Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Nov 29, 2021 6:43 PM in response to stringmelody

Those two apps do completely different things. Disk Utility is a native macOS app that manages drives & volumes with a First Aid feature for attempting to repair file system corruption. MalwareBytes is a third party app used to scan for malware and adware infections. As @FoxFifth mentions there is no need to install MalwareBytes on your Mac unless you believe you have accidentally installed malware or adware.

There is also no need to install any other anti-virus app, cleaning app, or third party security software since these types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance.

macOS has excellent built-in security especially if the user also takes the time to practice safe computing habits.

should i install malwarebytes on my mac or is disk utility enough?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.