Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder & Spotlight crash after typing characters on Monterey (100% repeatable)

This issue occurred after my MBP(A1398) had been updated to Monterey(12.0.1)

I have tried all of following methods and none of these works for me:

1. restart OS and run under safe mode. Crash doesn't occur under safe mode but repeats again under normal mode.
  2. Turn OFF (uncheck) the 'Bookmarks & History' option in Spotlight pane in System Preferences.
  3. reinstall OS(Monterey)
  4. restart OS and run disk utility, use 'First Aid' option to recover the disk.

attached is the crash report:

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 11:14 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 30, 2021 9:05 AM in response to CrystalBurger

I’m having the same issue on Big Sur 11.5.2, Early 2015 MBP.

Very annoying, as I used the command + space to open apps quickly, & now I can’t. It just crashes spotlight & finder as soon as I type, even in finder’s search bar.

I’ve tried disabling the drive indexing with the command ‘sudo mdutil -i off /‘, still crashes when I type.

(To reenable indexing, run the same command, but replace the word off with on)

Still crashes when I type.

Dec 8, 2021 12:44 PM in response to CrystalBurger

I have had same problem. Anything I type into Finder or Searchlight search box crashes the search.

Here's a partial work around: I have found that I can type command-F to invoke a specific search on a folder or volume by selecting "name" or "contents" contains and then filling in the box to the right of contains This does the search without crashing. I'm hopeful Apple will fix this issue soon.

Finder & Spotlight crash after typing characters on Monterey (100% repeatable)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.