Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to unlock my user guest on Mac but I have my name but don't know my password it not the password to open my Mac

I am trying to download the new system for my Mac but I have to get rid of guest user I was on the user site on setting but I put my name in on unlock but my password did not work. I used my password that I use to get on the Mac

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 5:34 AM

Why do you think you need to get rid of Guest User in order to update your Mac? Switch to an Admin user and update from there.

See also:

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

Switch quickly between users on Mac - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Nov 30, 2021 7:17 AM in response to Barbecued

Barbecued wrote:

anyone can answer

There is no reason to remove the guest user here. None.

macOS upgrades just fine with a guest user present; that’s the standard install.

If there are issues with performing the upgrade, what are those? Specific details and error messages help.

If you’ve forgotten your login user password, that can be reset.

If your login user password is remembered but is no longer working, that usually means your Mac is corrupted.

That can be a software corruption, or can be a hardware-caused corruption due to a failing hard disk drive for instance.

Whatever directions you might be following (and that are suggesting removing the guest user as part of an upgrade) are either wrong, or being misunderstood.

So… rather than asking about a step irrelevant to upgrades—removing the guest user—what’s going on here?

I am trying to unlock my user guest on Mac but I have my name but don't know my password it not the password to open my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.