Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell the difference between USB C cables

Is there a difference between the cable I use to connect my MacBook Pro to the electrical charger and the cable I use to connect the MacBook Pro to an iPad? Both are USB C to USB C cables, aren't they?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 11:10 AM

While USB-C connectors conform to a single standard, cables are not necessarily the same. USB-C cables can be wired to support different services - including one or more of Data, Power, Video, Thunderbolt and others.

Assuming that your cables are of Apple origin, they are very likely to be electrically the same - supporting Power and Data.

Thunderbolt3 cables, with a USB-C connector, are expensive - and the connector should be marked with (as you might guess) a thunderbolt symbol. Unless you have intentionally purchased a Thunderbolt cable, it is highly unlikely that you need to concern yourself with this type of cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 11:10 AM in response to Pamela Mullen2

While USB-C connectors conform to a single standard, cables are not necessarily the same. USB-C cables can be wired to support different services - including one or more of Data, Power, Video, Thunderbolt and others.

Assuming that your cables are of Apple origin, they are very likely to be electrically the same - supporting Power and Data.

Thunderbolt3 cables, with a USB-C connector, are expensive - and the connector should be marked with (as you might guess) a thunderbolt symbol. Unless you have intentionally purchased a Thunderbolt cable, it is highly unlikely that you need to concern yourself with this type of cable.

How to tell the difference between USB C cables

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.