Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express can't recognize new Wi-Fi

Just installed a new DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem (Motorola MB8600) and TP Link Deco Tri Band Mesh 6 Wi-Fi System (Deco X68), and cannot get my Airport Express to join my new network. "An error unexpectedly occurred. Try again". It worked perfectly before. I only use it to play music through my hard wired amp/speakers, and don't see another unit that will allow me to stream via my wi-fi through its headphone type jack into my admittedly old amp.

Solutions or updated suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 4:02 PM

AirPort Express can't recognize new Wi-Fi

Even the most recent version of the AirPort Express was designed in 2012, long before mesh, WiFi 6 and enhanced WPA3 security appeared, so it is not WiFi 6 capable. If the new router has compatible 802.11n WiFi settings, the Express might connect that way.

TP Link claims in their specifications.....see link below.......that the 2.4 GHz signal is 802.11 ax/n/b/g, but not sure exactly what this means.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-x68/#specifications

If the TP Link mesh router is using WPA3 WiFi security, the Express cannot connect since it is only capable of WPA2 security.

It worked perfectly before

Was this before you added the new TP Link Mesh router, or are you saying that it worked before on the TP Link router?

and don't see another unit that will allow me to stream via my wi-fi through its headphone type jack into my admittedly old amp.

Belkin claims that their Soundform device will do this, but I have not tested this device yet. I would be surprised if it is WiFi 6 capable though. More info here.

https://www.belkin.com/us/speakers-headphones/speakers/soundform-connect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

Not sure how much time that you want to spend on trying to get the Express to connect, but the first thing that I would try.......as a temporary test.......is turn off the WiFi security on the TP Link router to see if the Express can connect to the WiFi signal that way, with no security.

If it can.....then you will need to see if you can lower the security settings on the TP Link router to WPA2, then test again to see if the Express can connect using less secure WPA2 security settings.

But, if the Express will not connect during the test using no security, then you know that it will never connect when WiFi security is enabled.

The only option that you have at that point is to connect the Express to the TP-Link router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection and turn off the WiFi on the Express.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Apple-Simpleton

AirPort Express can't recognize new Wi-Fi

Even the most recent version of the AirPort Express was designed in 2012, long before mesh, WiFi 6 and enhanced WPA3 security appeared, so it is not WiFi 6 capable. If the new router has compatible 802.11n WiFi settings, the Express might connect that way.

TP Link claims in their specifications.....see link below.......that the 2.4 GHz signal is 802.11 ax/n/b/g, but not sure exactly what this means.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-x68/#specifications

If the TP Link mesh router is using WPA3 WiFi security, the Express cannot connect since it is only capable of WPA2 security.

It worked perfectly before

Was this before you added the new TP Link Mesh router, or are you saying that it worked before on the TP Link router?

and don't see another unit that will allow me to stream via my wi-fi through its headphone type jack into my admittedly old amp.

Belkin claims that their Soundform device will do this, but I have not tested this device yet. I would be surprised if it is WiFi 6 capable though. More info here.

https://www.belkin.com/us/speakers-headphones/speakers/soundform-connect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

Not sure how much time that you want to spend on trying to get the Express to connect, but the first thing that I would try.......as a temporary test.......is turn off the WiFi security on the TP Link router to see if the Express can connect to the WiFi signal that way, with no security.

If it can.....then you will need to see if you can lower the security settings on the TP Link router to WPA2, then test again to see if the Express can connect using less secure WPA2 security settings.

But, if the Express will not connect during the test using no security, then you know that it will never connect when WiFi security is enabled.

The only option that you have at that point is to connect the Express to the TP-Link router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection and turn off the WiFi on the Express.

Nov 30, 2021 4:45 PM in response to Apple-Simpleton

"An error unexpectedly occurred. Try again".

This often happens when you set things up over wifi.

IMHO mostly the error message is wrong!! Especially with setting up the Airport Express in Client mode.

Did you reset the Express to factory before you started the configuration? This is essential.

Once you finish the setup on the airport utility.. and you get the error message.. do this.

1/ Make sure your computer is connected to the mesh system correctly.

2/ Restart the Airport Utility on the computer or better still use the Airport Utility on iPad or iPhone. The iOS version just seems more aware of network than Macs ever do.

3/ Use ethernet.. plug the Express into the TP-Link mesh node or main router. by ethernet. Even better use ethernet connected computer plugged into the network as well, since wifi is 80% black arts and unreliable especially to configure wifi. It's like sawing off the tree branch your sitting on.

4/Use your TP-Link router app to look up all the clients on the network and check if the Express is actually connected.

You can also use a general app like Fing on your computer.. I just installed the free version of Fing and it works very well at picking up all the clients.

Once you have IP address of the Express.. you can then force the airport utility to connect to it by using Configure Other.

Simply put in the IP address and the password.

If all this fails.. it is still possible to do the setup via ethernet and manual configuration.

Be aware that WPA3 won't work as Bob pointed out.

Airport Express can't recognize new Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.