Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G4

How do I connect to WiFi with a lan wire already connected to an active WiFi tower? My iMac is a 2002 (lamp style)

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 12:23 PM

That is because the OS is too old to support newer versions of mainstream browsers and web pages. A firm that issues security certificates to web site owners allowed allowed older certs to expire on 30 Sept leaving many users of older computers stuck. Basically the replacement of the lapsed cert needs macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher, an OS unavailable to the G4 iMac.

You can try downloading TenFourFox. It is a fork of FireFox made to run on PowerPC Macs. Modern web sites see it as a supported version of FireFox. I use it on an G4 eMac running OS 10.5 Leopard and have received no cert errors. Development and support of TenFourFox has stopped but it can still be downloaded and used:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Note that this is not a perfect workaround. TenFour Fox does not support video plug-ins so stick to more basic web pages.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 12:23 PM in response to constantine66

That is because the OS is too old to support newer versions of mainstream browsers and web pages. A firm that issues security certificates to web site owners allowed allowed older certs to expire on 30 Sept leaving many users of older computers stuck. Basically the replacement of the lapsed cert needs macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher, an OS unavailable to the G4 iMac.

You can try downloading TenFourFox. It is a fork of FireFox made to run on PowerPC Macs. Modern web sites see it as a supported version of FireFox. I use it on an G4 eMac running OS 10.5 Leopard and have received no cert errors. Development and support of TenFourFox has stopped but it can still be downloaded and used:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Note that this is not a perfect workaround. TenFour Fox does not support video plug-ins so stick to more basic web pages.

Nov 30, 2021 3:40 PM in response to constantine66

WiFi and LAN-"wire" are two totally different things.

I'm assuming your WiFi "tower" is the router that was supplied to you by your Internet provider. They usually have ports in the back to plug in LAN computers, as well as offering WiFi capabilities as well.

You should be able to plug a LAN cable from your iMac to the back of your router with zero issues and it should be automatic. If you do not want to physically plug your iMac to your router, you just need the SSID (Network) and Password which is usually written on the bottom of the router.

iMac G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.