Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup all emails

Hello,

in my iMac I use Apple Mail to manage two mailboxes.

I would like to entirely back these two mailboxes, including all subfolders, i.e. Archive, Sent, ....

Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail or is there anything else to do?

Please advise,

Thanks,

Dan

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:40 AM

> Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail

Yes, that has worked (another approach might be to export/import from Mail but I have not used that).

When doing a clean install I have just zipped ~/Library/Mail and then expanded and imported that to a new macOS Mail.app (I have then moved local mail to an upper level and deleted imported gmail which is online anyway).

A few years ago it was enough to just put the Mail folder back at ~/Library but that does not work anymore. AFAIR in El Capitan to Mojave I ended up using Emailchemy to convert the mail because then none of the workflows mentioned above worked 100% -- I either got missed or duplicated messages).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 4:40 AM in response to pinocativo

> Shall I just make a backup of the folder $HOME/Library/Mail

Yes, that has worked (another approach might be to export/import from Mail but I have not used that).

When doing a clean install I have just zipped ~/Library/Mail and then expanded and imported that to a new macOS Mail.app (I have then moved local mail to an upper level and deleted imported gmail which is online anyway).

A few years ago it was enough to just put the Mail folder back at ~/Library but that does not work anymore. AFAIR in El Capitan to Mojave I ended up using Emailchemy to convert the mail because then none of the workflows mentioned above worked 100% -- I either got missed or duplicated messages).

How to backup all emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.