Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS monterey update stuck

I was notified that there is an update available. So I decided to update my mac book air M1. It uploaded all the 12 gb and then when restart happened it stuck on the apple logo, black screen and a process bar. I waited for 3 hours then I decided to restart since it was an error for sure. After a restart immediate after I type my password and press enter it goes to that black screen with process bar again and stucks again. So I used the recovery mode to reinstall this update, same problem. First it stuck on about 9 hours remaining to install the update then goes the black screen. I had to erase my ssd and reinstall it, but I feel that the same problem is coming. Is there any way to rather install the previous OS. I really don’t like how updates are released, always have problems on both of my Macs. I didn’t create a backup unfortunately, will do from this day.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 5:02 AM

The user profile is showing " MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0 " which is Big Sur. Is all that information accurate or was the computer running an updated version of Big Sur before the attempted upGrade as in Big Sur 11.6.1

The upGrade as per size of it, appear to Monterey macOS 12. Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.  Was there the required Empty Space available before the failed upGrade to Monterrey ?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 5:02 AM in response to dooman230

The user profile is showing " MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0 " which is Big Sur. Is all that information accurate or was the computer running an updated version of Big Sur before the attempted upGrade as in Big Sur 11.6.1

The upGrade as per size of it, appear to Monterey macOS 12. Empty Space Requirements  >> If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.  Was there the required Empty Space available before the failed upGrade to Monterrey ?

macOS monterey update stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.