Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina, Motion not available anymore to download

Hi everyone! I am using an iMac Catalina 10.15.7 and I realise I need to buy and install Motion on it. The trouble is that I cannot do that because Apple sells Motion only for MacOS 11.5.1 or later. Under the same iCloud name, I use a laptop with Monterey 12.0.1, where I could install Motion but I don't want to.

Is there an obvious workaround to my problem?

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 5:26 AM

Easy.

Buy Motion in the Monterey mac, using your Apple id. You can drag it to the trash.

Once you have made the purchase, log in to the App Store on your Catalina mac. Click your account at the bottom left to see your purchases. Click the download button next to Motion. You will be advised that the current version is not compatible with Catalina, and asked if you want the latest version that is compatible.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 5:26 AM in response to claude_210

Easy.

Buy Motion in the Monterey mac, using your Apple id. You can drag it to the trash.

Once you have made the purchase, log in to the App Store on your Catalina mac. Click your account at the bottom left to see your purchases. Click the download button next to Motion. You will be advised that the current version is not compatible with Catalina, and asked if you want the latest version that is compatible.

Dec 1, 2021 6:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Easy yes, although App Store... crashed in the middle of the purchase. That never happened to me before, and the crash does not seem to have affected the download. At download completion though, I went to my iMac and opened AppStore, click on my account icon, and lo! I saw the new Motion icon. Trying to download gave me the same error as earlier. So I move back to the Monterey Mac and compress the app AND move it to the trash... After that, I went back to the Catalina Mac and I managed to download Motion 5.5.3.

I don't know if the drastic compress & trash was needed though. Sync problem in iCloud perhaps?

Tx again for your swift help, Luis, all the friendly best to you!

--

Claude

Catalina, Motion not available anymore to download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.