Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with adding data in a field in numbers

When I go to a already existing spreadsheet in numbers to make a change, the cell I am changing takes up that cell and the one below, would like it to just take up the one cell.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 1:17 PM

each column or row cell now only has 1 digit

The column to the left of your digit has text that is wrapping to a second line within that cell. All it takes is one cell in the row to do this and the entire row will do it. All cells in a row are the same height (unless you have merged cells which you are not showing in your screenshot). Your screenshot does not show the text or your digit "taking up the cell and the one below". Each is in one cell as it should be. The cell/row height increased is all.

Was this file imported from another app, like Excel? It is possible it did not set the row heights upon import and left them to vary with the contents of the cells. It is possible the rows heights "fix" themselves to fit the data when you edit. If you want them to be a particular height and not change, select the rows you are concerned about, go to the Table tab in the sidebar on the right, scroll down until you see "row height", and type a number in there (even the same number will do if it is what you want).

Conversely, if it was imported it is possible it did set the row heights but didn't actually apply those settings to what you see and whenever you edit a row it "fixes" them. Just throwing out ideas. I've not seen this happen

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 1:17 PM in response to steve143

each column or row cell now only has 1 digit

The column to the left of your digit has text that is wrapping to a second line within that cell. All it takes is one cell in the row to do this and the entire row will do it. All cells in a row are the same height (unless you have merged cells which you are not showing in your screenshot). Your screenshot does not show the text or your digit "taking up the cell and the one below". Each is in one cell as it should be. The cell/row height increased is all.

Was this file imported from another app, like Excel? It is possible it did not set the row heights upon import and left them to vary with the contents of the cells. It is possible the rows heights "fix" themselves to fit the data when you edit. If you want them to be a particular height and not change, select the rows you are concerned about, go to the Table tab in the sidebar on the right, scroll down until you see "row height", and type a number in there (even the same number will do if it is what you want).

Conversely, if it was imported it is possible it did set the row heights but didn't actually apply those settings to what you see and whenever you edit a row it "fixes" them. Just throwing out ideas. I've not seen this happen

Dec 2, 2021 5:37 AM in response to steve143

It's hard to tell from you screenshot because you don't include the crucial row numbers and column letters.

Do you have something like this?

That is exactly the same as this:

The only difference between the two is that in the second won I made column A wider so the text doesn't wrap in cell A2.

SG

Dec 2, 2021 10:03 AM in response to steve143

We can only guess because you are very sparse with the information you provide here.

However, I would guess that you have one or more columns that are narrow enough to have wrapping text in them.

That means that the height in the cells in the other columns expands to match the height of the cells in the columns with the text wrap.

SG

Dec 2, 2021 10:20 AM in response to steve143

Well, it's good that you found your own post helpful.😀

Obviously, if you expand columns, you wouldn't expand the column with one digit. You'd want to expand any other columns that have wrapping text.

But again, we can't see what you see, and as you haven't posted details in a spreadsheet, it's just wild guessing at this point.

SG

problem with adding data in a field in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.