Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drainage overnight significantly

Please tell me a solution why my battery charge is reducing significantly 35-40% overnight in daily, where just a week ago I have purchased my iPhone 12 mini.

furthermore, I have made low power mode, almost all notifications are off, background app refresh is off,

really I couldn’t understand

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 4:52 PM

Then you only think something is not running in the background. If nothing was running in background the phone would use very little energy. What apps are using the most energy in Settings/Battery?

There are ALWAYS things running on an iPhone (or any smartphone). Unless it is in Airplane mode the phone periodically contacts the network. If your network connection is one or two bars this accounts for a huge amount of energy. Notifications arrive and use energy. So does mail and text messages. Battery drain means that something is draining the battery, and other than periodic network registration it is always an app. So you have something running whether you realize it or not. The smart thing to do is to charge the phone overnight. That way whatever is using energy overnight uses mains energy, rather than eating away at the useful life of the battery.

The absolute best way to slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

There is one very rare situation of a battery with self discharge. To test for this charge the phone to 100% in the evening, then turn the phone off completely (Hold the Side button and Volume Down until Slide to power off appears, and do so. Check it in the morning and it should still be 100% or very close. If it isn’t your phone has a defective battery.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 4:52 PM in response to shaharia100

Then you only think something is not running in the background. If nothing was running in background the phone would use very little energy. What apps are using the most energy in Settings/Battery?

There are ALWAYS things running on an iPhone (or any smartphone). Unless it is in Airplane mode the phone periodically contacts the network. If your network connection is one or two bars this accounts for a huge amount of energy. Notifications arrive and use energy. So does mail and text messages. Battery drain means that something is draining the battery, and other than periodic network registration it is always an app. So you have something running whether you realize it or not. The smart thing to do is to charge the phone overnight. That way whatever is using energy overnight uses mains energy, rather than eating away at the useful life of the battery.

The absolute best way to slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

There is one very rare situation of a battery with self discharge. To test for this charge the phone to 100% in the evening, then turn the phone off completely (Hold the Side button and Volume Down until Slide to power off appears, and do so. Check it in the morning and it should still be 100% or very close. If it isn’t your phone has a defective battery.

Dec 2, 2021 5:56 PM in response to shaharia100

shaharia100 wrote:

Thanks for your opinion & suggestion.
I have taken a screenshot where you find that no apps are available from 10 PM to 6 AM . still I think the phone is using network & Wi-fi. but how the battery has been reduced by 30 % only using network & Wi-fi. I have also turned off background app refresh & notifications in maximum apps, always using low power mode, Auto brightness.

It isn’t using Wi-Fi, because the phone turns Wi-Fi off when the phone sleeps. You only have 2 bars of cellular signal; that is a weak signal, and each network connection will use a lot of power. You can stop this by putting the phone in Airplane mode. I assume the screen is off overnight; if it is on that would use a lot of energy. Auto brightness doesn’t matter when the phone is asleep, so that is irrelevant. And Background App Refresh is also irrelevant, because it is off in low power mode, and even turning it off does not stop processing arriving mail, messages, and app data updates. Background App Refresh is widely misunderstood. It does not stop apps from receiving updates and notifications; it just stops apps from initiating non-event-driven background processing, such as an app “deciding” that this would be a good time to rebuild its database. Any processing that is required to respond to an external event will still happen, even with Background App Refresh enabled.

Why are you turning off useful features of the phone, just to do a meaningless test of battery usage? I suspect if you didn’t disable notifications and and didn’t enable low power mode it wouldn’t make much difference in overnight battery usage.

You seem to think you have a battery monitor, rather than a useful phone. Why don’t you just charge overnight and enjoy using the phone? It’s better for the phone, the battery will last longer, and it you turn on iCloud backups you will have a backup less than 24 hours old at all times.

Dec 2, 2021 7:05 PM in response to shaharia100

When your iPhone’s battery drains overnight, you should spring into action immediately. There are many instances when you may face this issue. A host of reasons can be cited as culprits, but the primary one is a software update.

I’ve noticed the battery drains quickly following an iOS update. Even as my phone stays idle during the night, I wake up to missing battery life. This situation calls for some troubleshooting actions.

Usually, my iPhone battery drains 10% to 15% overnight; but when this percentage reaches 25% to 30%, it’s time to think about the problem. Before you go for the battery replacement program, check out these tips and tricks to fix iPhone idle battery drain issues.

12 Tips to fix iPhone overnight battery drain issue

Rebooting or force restarting your device won’t help. These two workarounds are the most common solutions provided by many experts, but they don’t work for every problem you face on your iOS device. Try the solutions mentioned below:

Turn off Wi-Fi and Mobile Data

Turn Bluetooth off when you’re not using it

Adjust brightness on iPhone

Use Night Shift mode

Enable Low Power Mode

Disable Location Services on iPhone

Turn off Background App Refresh

Update iOS apps regularly

Update iOS software

Remove unnecessary apps from iPhone

Check battery usage

Start battery replacement program

This Will Help you, thanks

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Dec 2, 2021 5:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your opinion & suggestion.

I have taken a screenshot where you find that no apps are available from 10 PM to 6 AM . still I think the phone is using network & Wi-fi. but how the battery has been reduced by 30 % only using network & Wi-fi. I have also turned off background app refresh & notifications in maximum apps, always using low power mode, Auto brightness.

Dec 2, 2021 2:05 PM in response to shaharia100

shaharia100 wrote:

Please tell me a solution why my battery charge is reducing significantly 35-40% overnight in daily, where just a week ago I have purchased my iPhone 12 mini.
furthermore, I have made low power mode, almost all notifications are off, background app refresh is off,
really I couldn’t understand

All energy use comes from running apps, so if you are using more energy than you think you should you need to see which apps are using it and why. Go to Settings/Battery and you can see the apps that are using the most energy.

Battery drainage overnight significantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.