Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch LTE carrier question

I have an iPhone 8+ and just got a Series 6 Watch. My cell carrier doesn't support watches or tablets, but my wife's network does. Apple says someone can add thee watch to their plan for folks that don't have an iPhone, but it doesn't say what happens if that person does have an iPhone, but not Apple Watch compatible. Do i lose any services or functions by not having it on the same network as my iPhone?

Apple Watch Series 6

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 6:25 PM

In theory, your wife can setup the watch with her iPhone using either:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

but I think you will be disappointed with the results. n I believe in both cases it will use her phone number and Apple ID whjicvh will inevitably cause you problems.

My suggestion is to setup and pair the watch with your iPhone and simply don't enable the cellular feature. The watch will still be able to do everything as though the cellular feature was enabled as long as it is near your paired iPhone. Plus] there won't be an additional monthly fee.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 6:25 PM in response to stevefrombrooksville

In theory, your wife can setup the watch with her iPhone using either:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up an Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support

but I think you will be disappointed with the results. n I believe in both cases it will use her phone number and Apple ID whjicvh will inevitably cause you problems.

My suggestion is to setup and pair the watch with your iPhone and simply don't enable the cellular feature. The watch will still be able to do everything as though the cellular feature was enabled as long as it is near your paired iPhone. Plus] there won't be an additional monthly fee.

Dec 4, 2021 9:17 AM in response to stevefrombrooksville

When you use Apple Watch Family Sharing, the Apple Watch has reduced functionality, as some of the Apple Watch features depend on sharing private information with the iPhone, which you do not own, so you do not get to share.

The intended purpose of Apple Watch Family Sharing is for a parent to control the dependent child's Apple Watch, or for an elderly parent to be managed by a child caregiver.

If you want full functionality, and cellular access, it would be best for you to switch to a cellular carrier that supports the Apple Watch. Maybe joining your Wife's cellular plan will provide a discount for multiple users.

Apple Watch LTE carrier question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.