Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch won't connect to Fitness Plus

My new Apple Watch 7 running WatchOS 8.1 won't connect via Bluetooth to my iPad Air (3rd generation) running Pad OS 15.0.2, so I can't see the watch data on Apple Fitness Plus. Bluetooth just spins on both devices while searching.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 4:04 PM

Success! I finally contacted Apple Support via phone. The first rep couldn't help - just kept wanting me to update to absolute latest OSs, e.g 15.1.1 vice just 15.1! Called again and got a knowledgable rep named Heather. After checking lots of stuff, it turns out that in order to use an iPad with a Watch for Fitness+, you have to have the Home app loaded on your iPhone!

As soon as I downloaded Home (make sure it's the one from Apple) from the App store, everything worked just fine! The reason is that you can't "pair" the iPad to the Watch because the Watch is paired already to the iPhone. Instead you need to use the iPad as an accessory, the same as you would if you bought special Apple remote devices such as smart lights.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 4:04 PM in response to M_Alva523

Success! I finally contacted Apple Support via phone. The first rep couldn't help - just kept wanting me to update to absolute latest OSs, e.g 15.1.1 vice just 15.1! Called again and got a knowledgable rep named Heather. After checking lots of stuff, it turns out that in order to use an iPad with a Watch for Fitness+, you have to have the Home app loaded on your iPhone!

As soon as I downloaded Home (make sure it's the one from Apple) from the App store, everything worked just fine! The reason is that you can't "pair" the iPad to the Watch because the Watch is paired already to the iPhone. Instead you need to use the iPad as an accessory, the same as you would if you bought special Apple remote devices such as smart lights.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help.

Dec 2, 2021 2:46 PM in response to lhfrank

Hello lhfrank,

We understand you're trying to use Fitness+ with your Apple Watch and iPad Air but the devices aren't pairing. We'd be happy to assist!

The devices are both compatible with Fitness+, however, your iPad is not up to date. We'd recommend updating your iPad using the steps in Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Once the iPad is updated, let's be sure you're following the guidance in How to use Apple Fitness+ to use the devices together.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

Dec 6, 2021 7:33 AM in response to lhfrank

Hello lhfrank,

If your Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone and you're using the same Apple ID on both your iPhone and iPad, you shouldn't have the need to pair the devices. You should be able to open the Fitness app and start a workout.

Do you also experience this issue with your iPhone? If so, let's restart all of your devices and test again.

Restart your iPhone

Restart your iPad

Restart your Apple Watch

Best!

Dec 6, 2021 2:35 PM in response to lhfrank

Hi there lhfrank,

We appreciate the clarification on your issue. Let's confirm the iPad you're using is indeed an iPad Air 3rd generation: Identify your iPad model If this is the iPad model, let's try the steps in If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you're still unable to use the Fitness+ app with your Apple Watch, Contact Apple for support and service.

Take care!

apple watch won't connect to Fitness Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.