Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does application memory mean you have run out of memory space on your computer? How can you add more application memory?

Does application memory on your iMac mean you have run out of memory space on your computer? How can you add more application memory?

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 5:09 AM

You'll get this message when your startup drive is very full.

MacOS will use some of this disc space for application memory when RAM space is low. When the system can't find sufficient drive space it will let you know with this warning.

You can mitigate this by keeping your drive space available - some say about 10%.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 5:09 AM in response to Donnie411

You'll get this message when your startup drive is very full.

MacOS will use some of this disc space for application memory when RAM space is low. When the system can't find sufficient drive space it will let you know with this warning.

You can mitigate this by keeping your drive space available - some say about 10%.

Dec 24, 2021 11:54 AM in response to jcosta97

How's your memory pressure? If it's all green that's good; it's usually better if the green bar is low on the graph. As it sneaks upward, your pressure increases and when it get to red that's not so good.

Actually you need to restart at least once per week anyway. Restarting has a number of beneficial actions.

Dec 24, 2021 11:43 AM in response to ku4hx

I'm running Monterey 12.0.1 on an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with 8 GB of memory and a 1 TB harddrive, 698 GB available, and still get this error message on occasion. The one I got this morning, I was running Music, Mail, and Chrome (3 tabs open). Running Activity Monitor now, the largest one is called "WindowServer" 1.46 GB. I've checked and my pointer color is set to default colors (as mentioned in another thread as a possible browser memory leak issue). Whenever I've encountered this in the past, I've rebooted the system and seem to be fine for a few weeks before it reappears.

Does application memory mean you have run out of memory space on your computer? How can you add more application memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.