Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iTunes has the wrong Apple ID and won’t let me change it

I’m trying to update the apps in my App Store but it’s taking me to a screen that says enter Apple ID password for iTunes when I try to (which is new??) but it kept saying incorrect password when I know it’s correct - upon further inspection somehow my iTunes has a different Apple ID than my App Store and iCloud. I’ve had the same Apple ID my entire life and have never used another one so I’m not even sure how that happened, but it won’t let me change the Apple ID account I want to log into in order to update my apps just has the enter password and forgot password option?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 5:27 PM

Same exact problem today on my iPad Pro…iPad user id worked fine until I tried to use App Store iTunes. Kept asking if I wanted to change password so I did this a half dozen times. Called apple and after about half hour they did get it to work then I hung up and went to the living room and by the time i got there it was back to requiring a password AGAIN.. The last event iTunes was then asking for an old Apple ID. I put in the password for the old account and it opened. It soon changed to my current Apple ID and is working. This is nuts and must be a bug with iTunes app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 5:27 PM in response to J_ashley

Same exact problem today on my iPad Pro…iPad user id worked fine until I tried to use App Store iTunes. Kept asking if I wanted to change password so I did this a half dozen times. Called apple and after about half hour they did get it to work then I hung up and went to the living room and by the time i got there it was back to requiring a password AGAIN.. The last event iTunes was then asking for an old Apple ID. I put in the password for the old account and it opened. It soon changed to my current Apple ID and is working. This is nuts and must be a bug with iTunes app.

Dec 2, 2021 12:50 PM in response to J_ashley

Try signing out of the App Store/iTunes, restart, and then sign back in. Check the updates to see if the apps requiring an update are in your Purchases History. If they aren't in your Purchases History, you can delete the app, and download it using your Apple ID if desired. If the apps are in your Purchases History, contact iTunes Support.

Purchase History Review  *

See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.   

iTunes Support – world wide   -

Apple Support schedule phone call   -      

If necessary, try Twitter

https://twitter.com/AppleSupport.   -        

My iTunes has the wrong Apple ID and won’t let me change it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.