Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update my browser please?

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 8:11 AM

Safari is an integral element of iOS/iPadOS - and cannot be updated independently of the OS. If your iPad has been updated to the most recent version supported by your iPad, then Safari is as up-to-date as is possible.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.1

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Be aware that whilst your iPad and Safari App may be fully updated, some websites incorrectly identify your iPadOS Safari User Agent when used in one or other of its browsing modes - of which their are two - these being Desktop and Mobile.

It’s easy to switch between modes if a website isn’t functioning correctly. From the desired web-page, touch the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; this will reveal a menu. From the menu select Website Settings, then select (or deselect) Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Now refresh the webpage.

The chosen setting will be saved for the selected website - and can be simply reversed if needed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2021 8:11 AM in response to masonandmasoninc

Safari is an integral element of iOS/iPadOS - and cannot be updated independently of the OS. If your iPad has been updated to the most recent version supported by your iPad, then Safari is as up-to-date as is possible.

Here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.5

Newer models, not appearing in this list, are all able to be updated to the current version, iPadOS 15.1

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Be aware that whilst your iPad and Safari App may be fully updated, some websites incorrectly identify your iPadOS Safari User Agent when used in one or other of its browsing modes - of which their are two - these being Desktop and Mobile.

It’s easy to switch between modes if a website isn’t functioning correctly. From the desired web-page, touch the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; this will reveal a menu. From the menu select Website Settings, then select (or deselect) Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Now refresh the webpage.

The chosen setting will be saved for the selected website - and can be simply reversed if needed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.