Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring all content from my old ipod to my new ipod

I have built quite a library of albums over the years and don't want to risk losing them. Many are irreplaceable. How can I safely move the files from old to new ipod?

iPod Classic

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 7:20 PM

9 replies

Dec 5, 2021 2:54 PM in response to JimSorensen

I was referring to the subject title of your thread:

and of course;

JimSorensen wrote:

I attempted to follow the link but it didn't apply to moving from an old ipod to a new ipod so it seemed usless.

But let's move on.

If you no longer have the music in your iTunes Library and you do not have a backup of the music elsewhere, then you have two options:

1. try to retrieve the music from the iPod Classic, using the article I referred to before (Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community), so that you can put it back into your iTunes Library. Possibly, Media Monkey (mentioned in the article) might be the programme to try, but it's your decision
  2. Re-build your Library from scratch:
    1. music from the iTunes Store - sign into your account in iTunes and re-download the songs
    2. Music from online stores - go to your account with that store and re-download the songs
    3. Music from other online sources - go back to that source
    4. Music from your CDs - make a new copy from the CD into iTunes

You cannot restore music directly from the iPod back into iTunes.

Dec 5, 2021 1:39 PM in response to JimSorensen

You cannot transfer or copy directly from one iPod to another.

Possibly, a better link in your situation is this one: Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community. I'm not an expert when it comes to this, the author of the article (tt2) knows far more about it than I do. Although the article refers to iOS, I believe it works for the iPod Classic too, which your signature strip suggests you have.

Dec 5, 2021 1:47 PM in response to JimSorensen

The link provided leads you to another page: Use the Finder or iTunes to transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch-https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210218 where you are instructed on how to restore the backed up data from the old iPod. (Of course, if you do not have a backup and are unable to create one because you have deleted all the music on your iPod, you will not be able to transfer what you no longer have.)

Dec 5, 2021 10:59 AM in response to JimSorensen

What happened to the music that was in your iTunes Library (on your computer)? Have you deleted it?

Also, where did the music come from originally, was it from the iTunes Store, or was it purchases from other online sellers (such as Amazon or Bandcamp etc.) or from your own CDs?

Basically, if you no longer have the music in your iTunes Library, and any of it came from sources other than the iTunes Store, you will need to follow the link provided by bobjbkln. However, if all your music is made up of purchases from the iTunes Store you simply need to sign in to your Apple account and download the music from there. You can sign in directly from the iPod and from iTunes on your computer.

transferring all content from my old ipod to my new ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.