Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

to restore your iphone you need to install the latest version of itunes

There’s a problem with my daughters phone and we need to restore it. However, when I try to do this via iTunes I get the message “to restore your iphone you need to install the latest version of itunes”.

The thing is, I’ve just installed the latest version (and restarted computer) and still getting the message.

for info it’s an iPhone 8 and we’re on windows 8.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 8:10 AM

Unfortunately, Windows 8 cannot use the latest version of iTunes, so perhaps that's the problem.

Knowing the way that Apple phrase their messages (on iPods for example), I suspect that if you run the Check for updates in iTunes, the message you get back on Windows 8 may saying something like "This version of iTunes (12.10.11) is the current version". However, what it actually means is that the computer is running the latest version that it can run, which is not the same thing at all.

I believe that you will have to use iTunes on a PC with Windows 10 on it. The latest version of iTunes for Windows 10 (on the day of writing) is 12.12.2.2.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 8:10 AM in response to Bugtopia124

Unfortunately, Windows 8 cannot use the latest version of iTunes, so perhaps that's the problem.

Knowing the way that Apple phrase their messages (on iPods for example), I suspect that if you run the Check for updates in iTunes, the message you get back on Windows 8 may saying something like "This version of iTunes (12.10.11) is the current version". However, what it actually means is that the computer is running the latest version that it can run, which is not the same thing at all.

I believe that you will have to use iTunes on a PC with Windows 10 on it. The latest version of iTunes for Windows 10 (on the day of writing) is 12.12.2.2.

to restore your iphone you need to install the latest version of itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.