Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Big Sur Unlock Macintosh HD-Data

Hi,

I factory restored my MacBook Pro and sold it someone. They messaged me saying they’re met with the prompt “enter a password to unlock the disk Macintosh HD-data.” I’ve factory restored my Macs several times and never had this problem. How do I clear my original drive?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 10:46 AM

hme98 wrote:

Hi,

I factory restored my MacBook Pro and sold it someone. They messaged me saying they’re met with the prompt “enter a password to unlock the disk Macintosh HD-data.” I’ve factory restored my Macs several times and never had this problem. How do I clear my original drive?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you missed a step in there somewhere, even if you did multiple times wrong...

ref: Same as here—What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 10:46 AM in response to hme98

hme98 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you missed a step in there somewhere, even if you did multiple times wrong...

ref: Same as here—What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

MacBook Big Sur Unlock Macintosh HD-Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.