Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod shuffle not recognized by iTunes

My iPod shuffle is not recognized by iTunes on my Mac. While it shows up under locations as an external drive labeled as an iPod, the folder is empty and there is no sign of any potential actions. Additionally, it is not recognized at all in iTunes.

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 4:22 PM

Well, since you've posted this Q in the Catalina community, I assume you are using macOS 10.15.x in which case iTunes is no longer a thing. It has been replaced by the Music app, and that app is no longer the way one would sync or manage an iPod.

Being that you're trying to synch an iPod Shuffle, I suspect the device is no longer compatible with the newer macOS, though you didn't mention which shuffle version you have.

Ensure that your Catalina OS has been updated to it's most recent version 10.15.7.

Then please have a look at this admittedly older thread on a similar subject:

iPos shuffle and Mac Catalina - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 4:22 PM in response to bloomsburycowboy

Well, since you've posted this Q in the Catalina community, I assume you are using macOS 10.15.x in which case iTunes is no longer a thing. It has been replaced by the Music app, and that app is no longer the way one would sync or manage an iPod.

Being that you're trying to synch an iPod Shuffle, I suspect the device is no longer compatible with the newer macOS, though you didn't mention which shuffle version you have.

Ensure that your Catalina OS has been updated to it's most recent version 10.15.7.

Then please have a look at this admittedly older thread on a similar subject:

iPos shuffle and Mac Catalina - Apple Community

iPod shuffle not recognized by iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.