You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Cable?

I have a 2014 27" iMac. It has two Thunderbolt ports. If I buy a new mid level 24" iMac, what kind of Thunderbolt cable do I need to connect the machines and allow Migration Assistant to transfer my data?

Thanks, Bob.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 9:33 PM

Best bet, is to plug your Time Machine or Clone backup drive into the new iMac and migrate from it.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

The last time I migrated, I used a USB 3.0 SSD and migrated almost 350GB to a new Mac in about 40 minutes.

4 replies

Dec 4, 2021 8:18 AM in response to den.thed

This would be my preferred method. I just found out in another thread I posted that my backup program, Super Duper, is now compatible with Big Sur and Monterey.

My iMac can't upgrade past Big Sur, but, I haven't upgraded because Super Duper wouldn't work with it, now it will!

So, my need for a TB cable is diminished.

Thanks for the replies.

Bob.

Thunderbolt Cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.