Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This copy of the Install macOS Monterey.app application is damaged.

I have tried redownloading Installer and problem still exists. I have Intel MacBook Air 2020. What can I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 10:25 PM

9 replies

Dec 3, 2021 11:10 PM in response to tachyon5000

Hmm. Just to be absolutely certain there is no "hidden" installer, try entering the following command in the Terminal app:

• lsof | grep <the installer's filename>

If the result doesn't show any, I'm afraid that I'm out of ideas on why this is happening. The only other things I can suggest would be:

• Boot up in Safe Mode, and try downloading it again OR
  • Create a new user account. Log out of your existing account, and then, log in with the new account. Then try downloading.

Dec 3, 2021 10:36 PM in response to tachyon5000

The support article you arrived here from should provide you with the steps to upgrade to macOS Monterey. Did you follow them and you still get these "damaged" files?

If so, it is most likely that the App Store is still detecting that you have an existing copy of the installer in your Applications folder. If you have, and already deleted it, make sure that you empty the Trash. Also, double-check to see that an existing installer is not present anywhere else on your Mac ... like the /Library/Updates folder.

Dec 4, 2021 1:24 AM in response to tachyon5000

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses and possibly even a corrupted Download

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

Dec 4, 2021 2:05 AM in response to Tesserax

Ok I did some digging and found this error in the Console:

error osinstallersetupd volume does not support data protection, stripping SQLITE_OPEN_FILEPROTECTION_* flags

Now this makes me wonder if this is the problem: I had Xcode installed in my Mac, but did not use it very often. So to free up space, I moved the Xcode.app to an external SSD couple of days back. I did change the links (to Dev Tools) that needed to be adjusted (all following an online question in SO). This is the only instance where I did anything with storage or volumes. Can this be the problem. Should I move it back to the Applications directory?

This copy of the Install macOS Monterey.app application is damaged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.