Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot filter junk mail by font style

Lately I've been getting a lot of junk/spam with the from and subject fields in non-standard fonts. To be honest, I didn't know it was even possible to control fonts in those fields, but now I've learned something new.

The problem is the rules in Mail for filtering junk don't seem to have any way to detect this. It's easy to recognize the messages in my inbox and mark them as junk, but it's an annoyance and will be even more so if I start getting a lot more like this.

In the last few months I've also been getting a lot of junk that uses hyphens and question marks in the text in those fields, which is easy enough to filter out. This thing with the fonts has me stumped. Are there any extensions to Mail that I can install to do this sort of filtering?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 6:24 AM

No. There is no provision in the Mail Rule facility to detect fonts or font styles. SPAM typically is part of a campaign and one offender may be running several campaigns from a single mail server account. Each SPAM campaign will vary the content and domain name in the From header field making it difficult to block a single campaign.

There is a mail header field known as Return-path that contains the actual mail server address that these campaigns are being forwarded from, and if you carefully detect this Return-path, you may be able to block one or more SPAM campaigns from the same organization.

I offered a previous post on how to detect and manage the Return-path mail server feeds from spammers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2021 6:24 AM in response to mudbucker

No. There is no provision in the Mail Rule facility to detect fonts or font styles. SPAM typically is part of a campaign and one offender may be running several campaigns from a single mail server account. Each SPAM campaign will vary the content and domain name in the From header field making it difficult to block a single campaign.

There is a mail header field known as Return-path that contains the actual mail server address that these campaigns are being forwarded from, and if you carefully detect this Return-path, you may be able to block one or more SPAM campaigns from the same organization.

I offered a previous post on how to detect and manage the Return-path mail server feeds from spammers.

Cannot filter junk mail by font style

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.