Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant help needed - do I need to backup anything else?

Hi all,

A few days ago, I managed to back up my iMac's failing hard drive onto an external HDD using Migration Assistant. Not wanting to put too much strain on the hard drive, I selected only documents and settings to be backed up with Migration Assistant to the external HDD, which it did successfully, despite taking several hours.

Although I'm not necessarily concerned about backing up applications since I can always just reinstall them, I am wondering if there are any files (such as save files for games, or anything else important that might be in the Library folder) that wouldn't have been included in the back up, that I may want to keep and therefore manually copy to the new hard drive.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 4, 2021 4:03 PM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2021 6:13 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Sorry for the confusion lol, I'm probably not using these terms correctly so I'll try and explain a bit more clearly what I'm getting at. Because my Mac's internal hard drive was failing, I recently bought an external hard drive which I formatted, installed OSX on to, and then booted my Mac from. I then used Migration Assistant to migrate/backup the documents and settings (but not the applications) on my internal hard drive to the external one.

Migration Assistant help needed - do I need to backup anything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.