Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old time machine backups won't show up

My Macbook has been repaired, and completely deleted. I wanted to use time machine when I first bootet my Mac to recover everything, but it didn't work. The backup didn't work without any specific reason given. Now I wanted to use time machine again to recover all my settings and data, but time machine only gives me access to the backup of today, even though all the backups are available on my backup disc. How can I restore the data?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 8:21 AM

This_is_annoying_a_lot wrote:

Pressing the option key does not help me. The Backup drive is connected, and time machine also shows me the drive. But the latest backup there is from today. If you open the drive there are two top folders, a new one has been created with only a backup of today. So it really seems like time machine is treating this like a new computer. I used the migration assistant but it always says "process unexpactedly aborted" or something like that, without any specific reason why. This is the same Mac Book and the same Hard drive. This is the first time I need my time machine and it does not do its job at all.

see this ref—

Enter TM and then use the keys Shift Command C    This will bring upfront your main drive. You can now scroll back in time. Once you get where you want you can then open the drive and scroll down to your user library and documents, downloads, etc. and you may find the item you want. Copy to desktop and use or move from there.

ref: How to access Time Machine files from previous OS install?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5579823

I will say that Time Machine is great when it works, not so much when it does not...

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 8:21 AM in response to This_is_annoying_a_lot

Pressing the option key does not help me. The Backup drive is connected, and time machine also shows me the drive. But the latest backup there is from today. If you open the drive there are two top folders, a new one has been created with only a backup of today. So it really seems like time machine is treating this like a new computer. I used the migration assistant but it always says "process unexpactedly aborted" or something like that, without any specific reason why. This is the same Mac Book and the same Hard drive. This is the first time I need my time machine and it does not do its job at all.

see this ref—

Enter TM and then use the keys Shift Command C    This will bring upfront your main drive. You can now scroll back in time. Once you get where you want you can then open the drive and scroll down to your user library and documents, downloads, etc. and you may find the item you want. Copy to desktop and use or move from there.

ref: How to access Time Machine files from previous OS install?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5579823

I will say that Time Machine is great when it works, not so much when it does not...

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

Dec 5, 2021 6:17 AM in response to This_is_annoying_a_lot

My Macbook has been repaired, and completely deleted. I wanted to use time machine when I first bootet my Mac to recover everything, but it didn't work. The backup didn't work without any specific reason given. Now I wanted to use time machine again to recover all my settings and data, but time machine only gives me access to the backup of today, even though all the backups are available on my backup disc. How can I restore the data?

With your drive plugged in hold the Option key—>Browse other backup Disk (?)

Restore your Mac from a backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981

If your Time Machine is seeing it as a new Mac—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-new-mac-inherits-your-backup-history-mh35732/mac

Dec 5, 2021 10:15 AM in response to This_is_annoying_a_lot

I don`t want to make backups a lifestyle.

Suit yourself.

I never considered it a lifestyle, but I do value my user data.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Dec 5, 2021 8:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

Dec 5, 2021 9:48 AM in response to leroydouglas

"I will say that Time Machine is great when it works, not so much when it does not..." I think it is only great if it does not not work. Especially I do not understand why it does not give me even the smallest indication of WHAT actually is the problem. Again: I am using the SAME hard drive, and the SAME Mac Book. "3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite." The very reason I use time machine is because of the supposed easy of use. I don`t want to make backups a lifestyle. Seems like time machine is a buggy tool you can not rely on. So.....I need a solution for my problem. I need to make a backup. Why doesn't time machine work properly?

Old time machine backups won't show up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.