Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP M1pro 2021 usb power for ext drive

is that any information on the power that is available from the USB ports of the M1pro 2021?

is the power shared or independent of each USB port?

is there more power available when the Macbook is plugged in?

how much power is available?

i don’t want to stress out the MacBook :)

thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

is that any information on the power that is available from the USB ports of the M1pro 2021?

Yes. Go to the Apple menu () > About This Mac > System Report, and scroll down and click "USB". From there, select a device. Look for Current Available (mA) and Current Required (mA).

Each USB port is allowed up to a certain amount of power.

Your Mac will let you know if something needs more power. It also manages the USB ports. I suggest you read: If you see USB Devices Disabled on your Mac - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 9:19 PM in response to J_M2

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Yes. Go to the Apple menu () > About This Mac > System Report, and scroll down and click "USB". From there, select a device. Look for Current Available (mA) and Current Required (mA).

Each USB port is allowed up to a certain amount of power.

Your Mac will let you know if something needs more power. It also manages the USB ports. I suggest you read: If you see USB Devices Disabled on your Mac - Apple Support.

Cheers,

Jack

MBP M1pro 2021 usb power for ext drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.