You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover music from an old Apple ID

Hi, I'm trying to get to music on my computer, and I've had music files that a friend sent to me while I was in college. This was 12 years ago. I no longer have access to the email that the Apple ID was created with, and I have since ben using **** @ *** . How do I disable the apple ID for "*** @students.uwf.edu"? this email no longer exists- and I would like to get access to the files I have as they are the only files my friend gave to me, and he kinda doesn't have cds anymore and they are not popular or anything, basically the only files in existence.

[Email Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 11:07 AM

Hello FBB_Gabriel,

It sounds like you have an older Apple ID that might have music tied to it so you want to change the Apple ID email?

If so, review:

If these were purchases and you don't want to stay logged into this older Apple ID, you can consider Family Sharing to share content.

If these were purchases and you want to stay logged into this Apple ID, see Redownload music.

If these were not purchases but tied to a Music or iTunes library, check out:

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2021 11:07 AM in response to FBB_Gabriel

Hello FBB_Gabriel,

It sounds like you have an older Apple ID that might have music tied to it so you want to change the Apple ID email?

If so, review:

If these were purchases and you don't want to stay logged into this older Apple ID, you can consider Family Sharing to share content.

If these were purchases and you want to stay logged into this Apple ID, see Redownload music.

If these were not purchases but tied to a Music or iTunes library, check out:

Hope this information helps.

Have a good day.

Dec 6, 2021 2:37 PM in response to FBB_Gabriel

FBB_Gabriel,

Thank you for the additional information. To start, you would need to have access to the account. This means knowing or reseting the password. You would do that by following Change your Apple ID password. If you have access to the iPhone that is connected to the Apple ID, try to use it when following the steps to recover your password.

It is the case that you cannot merge accounts or use the same email for both accounts. If you follow Change your Apple ID, you can change the email to an iCloud email address. Just be sure to update your information for your a rescue email address About your Apple ID email addresses or if using two-factor authentication, that your rusted phone number is up to date Two-factor authentication for Apple ID.

Once you have access to the account, to change your nickname, you would have to do this in iTunes Set up and view an iTunes Store account on PC or the Music app Set up and view an iTunes Store account in Music on Mac.

• Go to Account > Sign in and sign into the account (sign out of the current account if necessary).
  • Go to Account > View My Account...
  • Scroll down to the bottom to the Settings section and change Nickname here.

As you cannot merge accounts, if you want to share purchases from this account to your new account, you would need to look into Family Sharing. Check out overall information about What is Family Sharing?, and the YouTube video from Apple Support about it How Family Sharing works. Also see:

Cheers!

How to recover music from an old Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.