Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sum a column in Numbers

The explanation as to how to sum a column of numbers in Numbers is as clear as mud to me, even after reading these answers. There used to the the 'f" function key that gave you that option. That is no longer available.

I just want the simple way to add Numbers on my spreadsheet so I can get my taxes done.

Thank-you.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 3:37 PM

Several ways to do it.

1. Select all the cells to sum
  2. At the bottom of the Numbers window are a few functions, one of which is SUM (you can edit what ones to show)
  3. Drag the sum to where you want it

1. Select the cells to sum
  2. Use the menu item Insert/Formula/Sum to put the sum in the next row down
  3. Later you can assign a keyboard shortcut to that menu item to save you some time if you do this a lot.

1. In the cell where you want the sum, type an = to open the formula editor then type SUM(
  2. Select the range of cells to sum then finish it off with a ")" so it looks something like SUM(B2:B15)
  3. Hit Return
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 3:37 PM in response to lisa69

Several ways to do it.

1. Select all the cells to sum
  2. At the bottom of the Numbers window are a few functions, one of which is SUM (you can edit what ones to show)
  3. Drag the sum to where you want it

1. Select the cells to sum
  2. Use the menu item Insert/Formula/Sum to put the sum in the next row down
  3. Later you can assign a keyboard shortcut to that menu item to save you some time if you do this a lot.

1. In the cell where you want the sum, type an = to open the formula editor then type SUM(
  2. Select the range of cells to sum then finish it off with a ")" so it looks something like SUM(B2:B15)
  3. Hit Return

Dec 7, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Badunit

Thank-you so much! I hadn't noticed the functions at the bottom of the spreadsheet - I was always searching the menu bar for the function key. As for trying to find Formula/Sum, well, that wasn't my forte. As I only use the sum function once a year for taxes, it didn't get embedded in my brain. Thank you for taking the time to explain this It is simple if you know where to look.

Sum a column in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.