Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos is at Version 7.0; appears there are later versions, but will not update

How do I update a 2021 iMac running Monterey 12.0.1 from Photos Version 7.0 to whatever the latest version is? I try doing System Updates, but Photos doesn't go to a newer version. I think the Photos version that was on the previous very old iMac ported over and I can't get it to update. Please help. Thanks.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 7:58 PM

17 replies

Dec 12, 2021 6:45 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Upon further review, Photos on the new iMac is up to date at Version 7. Another Mac user tried to send two shared albums on Photos, but when we click on the notice to subscribe, we get the following message:

Shared albums are not available for this device.

To subscribe to Lorraine Piligian’s “Sarah Piligian Celebration” shared album on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, open your invitation in the Mail app, and click the Subscribe button in the message.

To subscribe you need to be signed in to iCloud on:

• An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 6 or later, or
      • A Mac with macOS 10.8.2 or later and iPhoto 9.4 or Aperture 3.4 or later

We get this message even when this iMac is signed on to iCloud.

Any further insight as to what the problem might be? Thanks!

Dec 13, 2021 2:40 AM in response to piligianpaul

Your iMac running Monterey 12.0.1 from Photos Version 7.0 has the lastest versions.

This line in the warning message is a bit misleading and naming very old versions from 2012, the first system version OSX Mountain Lion and the first applications to support shared albums at all: "A Mac with macOS 10.8.2 or later and iPhoto 9.4 or Aperture 3.4 or later". Aperture and iPhoto are no longer developed by Apple. You can neither run a full version of iPhoto nor Aperture any longer on a Mac with macOS 12 Monterey.

There are two places, where you need to sign into iCloud - the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud > Photos and as pointed out by Tony the Photos > Preferences > iCloud > Shared Albums.

You may not be able to enable "Shared Albums" in the Photos Preferences > iCloud, if your current Photos Library is not your System Photos Library and is stored on an unsupported volume. Where are you keeping your Photos Library? It should be in your Pictures folder or on an external volume prepared like this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 12, 2021 6:48 PM in response to léonie

I tried what you suggested. To be more specific, the problem is when we try to subscribe to Shared Albums being sent by another Mac user. We get the following message:

Shared albums are not available for this device.

To subscribe to Lorraine Piligian’s “Sarah Piligian Celebration” shared album on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, open your invitation in the Mail app, and click the Subscribe button in the message.

To subscribe you need to be signed in to iCloud on:

• An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 6 or later, or
      • A Mac with macOS 10.8.2 or later and iPhoto 9.4 or Aperture 3.4 or later

We get this message even when this iMac is signed on to iCloud.

Photos is at Version 7.0; appears there are later versions, but will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.