Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to delete file from my macbook air but not from.the icloud

My macbook air is almost full so I want to delete the file from my desktop but when I do so they are automatically deleted from the icloud

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 9:32 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If iCloud Desktop and Documents is on, Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support, yes they will also be deleted from iCloud.

Instead of deleting the files from iCloud desktop, Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support.

You may also need to store large files and libraries on a high-quality external storage device. Since your Mac is a MacBook Air, you'd probably want a portable external drive, such as a G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series Storage - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 9:32 PM in response to Sandylb81

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

If iCloud Desktop and Documents is on, Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support, yes they will also be deleted from iCloud.

Instead of deleting the files from iCloud desktop, Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support.

You may also need to store large files and libraries on a high-quality external storage device. Since your Mac is a MacBook Air, you'd probably want a portable external drive, such as a G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series Storage - Apple.

Cheers,

Jack

I want to delete file from my macbook air but not from.the icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.