Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have icloud enabled to backup desktop and documents (and TN of free space) but it does not appear to be making copies of anything. I went looking for a file I accidentally deleted and it was not in recently deleted.

Should icloud keep deleted items? I thought so but no delweted items are showing?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 8:06 AM

Thanks. I am doomed then :-) I don't have Time Machine enabled. I do note some grumbling that Apple does not allow you to use iCloud as your TM backup. It seems that would be a good option. In any event thanks for the help.

4 replies

Dec 7, 2021 6:25 AM in response to muguy

I did explicitly empty Trash but did not explicitly remove Recently Deleted. Are you saying emptying trash will cause it to be removed from Recently Deleted. If not then it was not there. What is the Time Machine backup. I used to have the old Time Machine hard drive, are you saying there is another place to look? Appreciate your help.

Dec 7, 2021 7:09 AM in response to absrule

Yes. Trash and recently deleted serve the same purpose. If you empty from either location it empties both to keep files in sync. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service to keep all of your devices in sync.

If you use Time Machine to backup your computer, it should regularly backup your system (hourly). You can look in Time Machine to find your file. Navigate to the folder containing the file then click the Time Machine icon (clock with the "backward arrow" in a circle, at the top of your screen. If you do not use Time Machine, you will not have the file.

I have icloud enabled to backup desktop and documents (and TN of free space) but it does not appear to be making copies of anything. I went looking for a file I accidentally deleted and it was not in recently deleted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.