Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"ESC" key stop working

Hi, After update my macbook M1 IOS to Monterey, i start to have troubles with "esc" key, the key stop working in any combinations/apps.

To get back working, i need to reboot the system

After some days of using, it stops working again.

Never noticed this problem on Big Sur

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 7:06 AM

Boot up to Safe Mode and see if that resolves the problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Also when/if this recurs, open Keyboard Viewer and see if the viewer shows the ESC being depressed.

Go to System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources and check the box that says Show input menu in menu bar. Then right lick on the keyboard icon in menu bar and select Show keyboard viewer. That opens the virtual keyboard which shows which keys are being depressed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 7:06 AM in response to Dimitriz

Boot up to Safe Mode and see if that resolves the problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Also when/if this recurs, open Keyboard Viewer and see if the viewer shows the ESC being depressed.

Go to System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources and check the box that says Show input menu in menu bar. Then right lick on the keyboard icon in menu bar and select Show keyboard viewer. That opens the virtual keyboard which shows which keys are being depressed.

"ESC" key stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.