Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so ridiculously difficult to find out how much an in-app purchase COSTS?

Every once in a while I see an app I'm interested in. But it is listed as an "in-app purchase". OK< I know what that means. But how the **** do i find out how much it costs? There's a huge amount of info on the app store page for the app - but not how much it costs? Makes me crazy.

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 9:47 AM

15 replies

Dec 7, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Phil0124

Thank you. That may be true if I was looking for the app from the Arcade. But 'm not an Arcade subscriber. I saw this app promoted to me via another MobilityWare app. So I simply searched the app store for MobilityWare Sudoku - and I don't see any reference to Arcade - not on the search result page, or the 1st 4 screens of the app's page on App Store.

My point is that this information appears to be intentionally obscured. It should be right up front.

I don't need help with this app. I am just asking why Apple chooses to make pricing information SO DIFFICULT TO FIND?

Dec 7, 2021 9:59 AM in response to gheumann

It’s up to the makers of the app to give that info. However there can be a single to hundreds of in-app purchase options depending on the offer’s, just click the Yes in the AppStore listing to see prices they do share.

Additionally prices can change day to day and using the AppStore listing to reflect new info takes time and can be time consuming for the developer so you can also resch out to the app maker directly to ask for at least a price range of their in-app offerings.

Dec 7, 2021 10:59 AM in response to gheumann

If you search for an app, it will bring up any app that matches the search term, even if it's an Arcade game. And, it clearly states that it's an Apple Arcade game.

Telling people here you don't like the way Apple does things may be cathartic but, beyond that, won't accomplish much. You can let Apple know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 7, 2021 10:05 AM in response to gheumann

As mentioned it should be there as a drop down selection towards the bottom of the app description in the App Store. Provider that information is not really optional for developers as it violates Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and the App Store Review Guidelines for App Store apps.

If you feel a developer is not obeying those guidelines, report them to Apple via the App Store support page.

Dec 7, 2021 10:07 AM in response to gheumann

You are confusing in-App purchases with the actual price of the App. They are not related.

An App can be free, and still have in-app purchases, and an App can also have an upfront price and have no in-app purchases.

Then there are apps that have an upfront price and additional in-app purchases too.

An in-app purchase refers to any item, feature or service the app offers within itself as an additional purchase. It is not the actual cost of an App.

As mentioned, you can scroll down to the info section of the App in the App Store and see a list of in-app purchases the developers made public there.

Once you download the App, you can then check all the in-app purchases it has and see if you want to buy the additional item, service or feature or. not. In-App purchases are entirely optional. Nothing is forcing you to buy anything the app offers within it as an in-app purchase.

There's nothing deceitful there.

Dec 7, 2021 10:13 AM in response to gheumann

I would also add that there are free apps that require a subscription to use and include a free trial period when downloaded. Unfortunately, the now industry standard business model for such apps is that they automatically start charging your AppleID once the free trial is over unless you consciously cancel the subscription before the free trial ends.

So just about any free app with a free use trial period will end up charging you unless you keep track of the trial period and cancel before that ends. Personally I find that a deceitful tactic (they could just warn you beforehand and then make the app non-functional if you don’t decide when the trial ends), but it is not illegal and is used by many such trial apps where the developer relies on subscriptions for revenue.

Dec 7, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Michael Black

Exactly. I once bought "in-app" purchase app without being able to discern how much it was. - when I got the 1st $44.95 charge I was ******. (And I just reported this below, but : have a look at the AppStore page for Mobilityware Sudoku. Can't find a price anywhere. (I don't know if it is in-app purchase or not, or free or not - but don't you think I should be able to find out without purchasing it? )

It IS deceitful and it is very NOT APPLE.

Dec 7, 2021 10:44 AM in response to gheumann

Anything that simply shows “get” is a free app, which as others mention, may not mean it is free to use if the small print under get says “in app purchases”. Otherwise, if the app itself costs anything, its price will be shown instead of “get”.

Any developer charging for the initial download of the app itself must provide the price and that price will be displayed in the purchase/download button.

Dec 7, 2021 10:44 AM in response to gheumann

gheumann wrote:

On the other hand - have a look at the AppStore page for Mobilityware Sudoku. Can't find a price anywhere. (I don't know if it is in-app purchase or not, or free or not - but don't you think I should be able to find out without purchasing it?

The only version of Mobilityware Sudoku I can see is the Apple Arcade version. The reason is that there is no separate price is because everything is included in the Arcade subscription.

Dec 7, 2021 1:49 PM in response to gheumann

Mobility Ware Sudoku is free if you are subscribed to Apple Arcade.

It says so on the page. And if you press on the Get button it will tell you its part of Apple Arcade and you need a subscription. You can always decline at that point.

Rule of thumb is if it has a Get button its free to download. That does not mean it does not have other in-app purchases or associated subscriptions however.

If it has a price it costs that amount to download, but can also have additional features, items or services for purchase within the app regardless.

If its has a GET button its free to download. If it has a price, then it costs that much to download. It's fairly simple.

Why is it so ridiculously difficult to find out how much an in-app purchase COSTS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.