Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype install's "something"

Hi.. I maintain some 10 macs.. all 2012 and newer. Most with Monterey, one with Big Sur..

I run SKYPE on all of them.. and on all of them some window pops up asking to install some system recource.. with a SKYPE logo and the you have to enter an Admin account. or just click it "negate" away.. which my coworkers normally do..

What is SKYPE trying to install?

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 6:42 PM

Skype is attempting to install an update to its Helper application. It always asks for Admin permission. As you discovered, you can ignore it (cancel it) when it appears. The only way to make the prompt/message go away is to update Skype to the latest release. Even then, it will show up again at some point when another Skype update becomes available.

Skype has behaved this way for many years & releases.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2021 6:42 PM in response to Pierre Froelicher1

Skype is attempting to install an update to its Helper application. It always asks for Admin permission. As you discovered, you can ignore it (cancel it) when it appears. The only way to make the prompt/message go away is to update Skype to the latest release. Even then, it will show up again at some point when another Skype update becomes available.

Skype has behaved this way for many years & releases.

Dec 8, 2021 2:48 AM in response to MartinR

Thank you all for you answers.

Will take a screenshot. I think Martin nailed it..

Suspicious is, that it is always suspicious if something asks you to install components.. and I taught my coworkers NOT to do anything like that without caution.

I must say that we are an all Mac, no OFFICE shop.. but use SKYPE as our internal Chat.. So.. I have a low stronghold against bad behaviour of MS apps..

Skype install's "something"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.