Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Transfer

On Using Migration Assistant in transferring information from one's iMac to a new MacBook Pro, will this not erase information from the iMac? I want the information on both computers.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 12:09 PM

Thank you, rkaufmann87. Will take your advice and do a Time Machine back up. Will have to order an appropriate external hard drive from Apple, as the Sea Gate back up drive on the iMac is out of date for the new MacBook Pro.

Carl

10 replies

Dec 7, 2021 11:11 AM in response to Carl Hitchens

Please carefully read the information in Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. This will provide instructions and no the information on the old (in your case an iMac) will not be erased. NEVER EVER migrate using Wi-Fi and DO NOT connect Mac to Mac using a cable. If you do not have a Time Machine backup of the old computer, please create one! Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Dec 7, 2021 12:51 PM in response to Carl Hitchens

The drive most experienced users on these forums like is the OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to it great cooling (translates into longevity) reasonable price, great service, and when the internal HD dies (eventually all HD's die) you can replace it within 5 minutes.

I recommend against using the cheap drives like the WD enclosure, Seagate enclosures as those are throw away (you cannot replace the HD), and due to inadequate cooling they tend to not live as long.

Dec 9, 2021 10:35 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I started migrating my files from my old IMac 21” to my new Mac mini M1 (2020) as instructed from the Apple website. It’s been 24 hours when both Mac said transfer was finished. But when I re-booted my Mac mini, it said resuming migration eventhough my old iMac 21” is already shutdown. The computer icon on the Mac mini is now the Mac mini and not the old IMac 21”. It’s been 2 hours now so I’m thinking if I should cancel and re-start or wait… Help needed.

Migration Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.