Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export fails - Out of Application Memory

I am having the same issue many are having with the VTDecoderXPCService showing upwards of 100Gb memory usage while trying to export a 10+ minute film from Final Cut. At about 35%, the export fails and I get the popup saying I am out of application memory and the export immediately fails (happens when exporting from Compressor as well). No third party plugins are being using in the project.

I was told to run an Etrecheck report and the results are below in additional text.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 1:52 PM

13 replies

Dec 7, 2021 7:02 PM in response to callahanryan12

There was also a Logic crash noted in the Etrecheck report.

It's my understanding that having plugins installed means they are "loaded" whether or not they are actually used in a project. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Have you tried the simple things like resetting FCP preferences and deleting render files?

To reset FCP prefs, hold command and option while launching FCP, then choose Delete Preferences. FCP will open the default Untitled library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like (turn off background rendering, etc.) and see if the issue has been resolved.

To delete render files, select the library in the browser and select File->Delete Generated Library Files... then Delete All Render files. These files will be recreated by FCP if/when needed.

Dec 7, 2021 7:16 PM in response to terryb

I have tried resetting preferences and trashing render files and still got the issue.

The weird part of all this, is I read in another thread that Google Chrome was an issue and could be contributing to the application memory being full. So after deleting Chrome and all it’s hidden files, I was able to get about 40% further in the export than before, (VTDecoderXPCService showed 110GB of RAM usage before throwing the error, while before deleting Chrome it would only get to 70GB before the error).

Dec 9, 2021 8:04 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

So it looks like deleting Google Chrome, all Red Giant/Maxon plugins, and reinstalling FCP has fixed the issue! Now the VTDecoderXPCService in activity monitor only goes to around 4 GB during export.

It's mind blowing that just have something installed, not even running or being used can make this happen. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Export fails - Out of Application Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.