You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast queue disappears

I added a bunch of podcast episodes to my queue in the order I wanted to listen to them, and now the app has deleted the queue and I can’t figure out why.

I have in the past accidentally deleted the queue myself by tapping on an episode and starting it playing when I didn’t mean to - but it wasn’t me this time. I had playback paused in the car and when I restarted it, it began playing the next show in the “Up Next” (NOT my queue). When I went to change it to back my queued episodes - it was gone.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 7, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:04 PM

This is happening to me too, and it's super frustrating. Here's how I would explain the problem. I spend a lot of time deciding which episodes I want to listen to next, and making sure they're in the order I want them. And I put my favorites up top, and the ones that I'm not quite as into down lower, so that I always have a nice long queue. A year ago, if I accidentally ever clicked Play on anything, it would ask me a question something like "After playing this episode what do you want to do? Keep Up Next or Clear Up Next." And I had to be careful not to clear my Up Next queue.

It seems that the behavior changed a few months ago, and now the question doesn't get asked - it just always clears the queue. As if there was a default setting which you can't change.

This mostly happens to me when I first open my phone, wake it up, and quickly play my podcasts. Or if I'm using my Airpods. If I press play from the home screen without first opening the podcast app and making sure that the one I was listening to is there and make sure my Up Next queue is displayed everything will get wiped out.

I got so frustrated the other day that I tried to rebuild my library and queue in both the Audible and Spotify podcast sections, but neither of those worked as well as Apple's native Podcast app, so I gave up.

A friend of mine suggested switching to Overcast. I'm going to upgrade to iOS 15.2 today, and if my queue deletes again, I'll download and install Overcast. I hope that this is an issue Apple is aware of and is fixing.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 14, 2021 4:04 PM in response to Carrieseydel

This is happening to me too, and it's super frustrating. Here's how I would explain the problem. I spend a lot of time deciding which episodes I want to listen to next, and making sure they're in the order I want them. And I put my favorites up top, and the ones that I'm not quite as into down lower, so that I always have a nice long queue. A year ago, if I accidentally ever clicked Play on anything, it would ask me a question something like "After playing this episode what do you want to do? Keep Up Next or Clear Up Next." And I had to be careful not to clear my Up Next queue.

It seems that the behavior changed a few months ago, and now the question doesn't get asked - it just always clears the queue. As if there was a default setting which you can't change.

This mostly happens to me when I first open my phone, wake it up, and quickly play my podcasts. Or if I'm using my Airpods. If I press play from the home screen without first opening the podcast app and making sure that the one I was listening to is there and make sure my Up Next queue is displayed everything will get wiped out.

I got so frustrated the other day that I tried to rebuild my library and queue in both the Audible and Spotify podcast sections, but neither of those worked as well as Apple's native Podcast app, so I gave up.

A friend of mine suggested switching to Overcast. I'm going to upgrade to iOS 15.2 today, and if my queue deletes again, I'll download and install Overcast. I hope that this is an issue Apple is aware of and is fixing.

Podcast queue disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.