Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn spell check back on after Grammarly Desktop turned it off

Grammarly for Desktops turns off the red lines that macOS puts under mispelled words. If you uninstall Grammarly, it doesn't turn that system function back on, so now if I mispell a a word in somehting like the Mail app, there is no red line. It still seems to be spell checking, it's just not marking the words.

I have spell check turned on in System Preferences>Keyboard. I have turned it on in all apps that allow you to do so, but still no red lines.

How do I turn the red lines for mispelled words back on please?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 5:25 AM

I did contact their support, but I also got help from someone on a Mac-based forum (Grammarly support eventually told me the same thing). I will update below with the solution. Spell check was still working, but Grammarly turned off continuous spell check in the system, so it wasn't as simple as just turning it back on. To turn it back on type the following in Terminal:

defaults write -g NSAllowContinuousSpellChecking -bool true

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 5:25 AM in response to lllaass

I did contact their support, but I also got help from someone on a Mac-based forum (Grammarly support eventually told me the same thing). I will update below with the solution. Spell check was still working, but Grammarly turned off continuous spell check in the system, so it wasn't as simple as just turning it back on. To turn it back on type the following in Terminal:

defaults write -g NSAllowContinuousSpellChecking -bool true

Dec 15, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Lee Abraham

Lee Abraham wrote:

Grammarly for Desktops turns off the red lines that macOS puts under mispelled words. If you uninstall Grammarly, it doesn't turn that system function back on, so now if I mispell a a word in somehting like the Mail app, there is no red line. It still seems to be spell checking, it's just not marking the words.

I have spell check turned on in System Preferences>Keyboard. I have turned it on in all apps that allow you to do so, but still no red lines.

How do I turn the red lines for mispelled words back on please?

Check spelling and grammar on Mac - Apple Support

Turn spell check back on after Grammarly Desktop turned it off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.