Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have one extra disk drive named Untitled - Data

In disk utility it shows 3 hard drives, 2 of them being USER (hard drive) and USER (hard drive) - Data which I know it's normal. The problem is that I have a third one named Untitled - Data which uses only 979 KGB. I'm not sure what it does and if it is ok to erase it. I will attach a screenshot of disk utility.

I am running MacOS Big Sur 11.6 on a Macbook Air M1.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 4:51 AM

It is more complicated than just removing the Untitled Volume and it could impact the whole computer.

One needs to determine the Mount Point of this Untitled Volume. We also need to determine each of the Mount points of each volumes represented from you original picture

By example see below . Notice Mount Point on left and corresponding value on right. /System/Volumes/ Data. Similar need to be done to each in your picture and screen shot identifying similar informed posted to see what is what.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2021 4:51 AM in response to valimoisa

It is more complicated than just removing the Untitled Volume and it could impact the whole computer.

One needs to determine the Mount Point of this Untitled Volume. We also need to determine each of the Mount points of each volumes represented from you original picture

By example see below . Notice Mount Point on left and corresponding value on right. /System/Volumes/ Data. Similar need to be done to each in your picture and screen shot identifying similar informed posted to see what is what.

Dec 9, 2021 4:07 AM in response to valimoisa

valimoisa wrote:

I bought it resealed from an official Apple reseller so I wasn't the first person to activate it. I'm not sure how their technicians reset the products but when I first opened it, it went straight to the activation screen (so it had a reset). The OS (Big Sur) was already installed. Is it possible that during the reset procedure something was "left behind"?

I don't see your screenshot if you posted one.

They did a bad job.

If done correctly - the moment the computer was turned On for the First time by you, the Setup Assist should have been presented.

Yes, if it can be done - take it back and have them Wipe and Reinstall the OS as Clean.

Sorry omitted the screen shot - Expresso to wife and self just making it now.

Dec 9, 2021 4:02 AM in response to PRP_53

I bought it resealed from an official Apple reseller so I wasn't the first person to activate it. I'm not sure how their technicians reset the products but when I first opened it, it went straight to the activation screen (so it had a reset). The OS (Big Sur) was already installed. Is it possible that during the reset procedure something was "left behind"?

I don't see your screenshot if you posted one.

I have one extra disk drive named Untitled - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.