Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Related Article: Set up an account recovery contact

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recover deleted texts

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 6:25 PM

Deleted texts are erased immediately.

If you have a device backup that contains the messages, and you do NOT use messages in iCloud, you can erase your device and restore it using the backup. You'll lose anything new since the backup was made.

2 replies

Dec 9, 2021 6:46 PM in response to bobbymarquez

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.