You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I boot a 2007 Mac Mini from a USB hard Drive? Or will I need a Firewire one?

I’ve managed to boot an ageing 2007 Mac mini from the install DVD via a USB optical drive.

You can read more about that, here.

The main drive’s gone: at least, it’s giving me the ‘Folder With a question mark’ logo that says so.

Can I revive it by reinstalling the OS: not a USB external hard Drive, or flash memory stick?

Or will I need to use a Firewire external drive … ?

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 3:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2021 6:48 AM

Press and hold the “Option” key when you hear the startup sounds—this will bring you to the Startup Manager. Once the Startup Manager appears, you can release the Option key. Startup Manager will then start scanning your device for drives it can boot from, including your USB.

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 10, 2021 7:25 AM in response to Paul Downie

An external FireWire drive would be a little faster, but a USB external drive will work just fine.

You will need to Partition and Format the external drive "GUID Partition Map" / "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and then install the OS X that is on the install DVD.

Next startup from the external hard drive as Bob suggests above.

Sadly retrieving data from the internal drive, will depend on access and condition of the internal drive.

Can I boot a 2007 Mac Mini from a USB hard Drive? Or will I need a Firewire one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.